Tuesday 2 August 2011

Things I find strange about England

I hope to make this a continuing post, as I will have more things to add the longer I am here....so, here goes:

1. why are the refrigerators so small? What's up with that? I know that America has become a punchline for everything being super-sized, but really, why have such a small fridge? It means I have to go to the grocery store more often to get the smaller-sized portions of things to fit in my smaller fridge.

2. Why do we have to pay for cable t.v., and THEN have to pay for the privilege of actually possessing a t.v. and watching BBC 1, 2, 3 and 4, which don't come free anymore after they've gone digital, anyway?

3. The newscasters all have a segment in the morning where they show everyone the cover stories on the morning newspapers and talk about them. Am I the only person who finds this strange? Watching people on t.v. news reading the news from the papers? Don't they already know the news? Why are they transcribing it from another news source?

4. There's not just one goodwill store here like in the states. In all of the downtowns I've visited here there are at least five charity shops covering different charities like the heart foundation or cancer research or even taking care of stray cats. You don't drop off your old clothes and books anonymously at drop-off bins like back home, you bring them directly to the shop and give them to the folks who work there.

5. People walk around here a LOT more than back in the states. I've gotten used to going out with shopping bags and hauling groceries and stuff back home just like everyone else.....makes me feel like I'm back in college again.

6. The whole changing "-or" to "-our" thing; like flavour, savour, colour....every time I see these words on packaging or any kind of print here it hits me right in my grammar teacher's heart. I keep thinking that if they're spelled that way, then why don't they rhyme with devour, hour, sour?

7. Cricket.

No comments:

Post a Comment