Wednesday 3 August 2011

The NHS and Schools during summer break

It seems that England almost closes down during summer break. Maybe its because they have a shorter break ( Mid-July to Early September), or maybe its because the weather is so bad here that everybody is desperate to get out to some sunny place. Either way, I've come across some road blocks in getting things done for Older Son and the rest of the family because of it. Summer break seems to be the time for changes to be done in offices as well. Today I'll be dropping off our applications for a new GP at the only local doctor's office, and I've been informed by them that we wont be actually accepted into the practice for a month because they're transferring everything to a new computer system. I've been trying to get a hold of Older Son's speech therapist who did his review for the NHS, and the office up in Shrewsbury is moving or something and she wasn't there anyway, so I was only able to leave a message for her.....and I'm learning that leaving a message at any office around here is like writing it on a postcard and mailing it to someone who cares. I've started writing down in my notebook when I've left messages and when I should call again if I haven't heard back in a few days so that weeks don't go by without any reply.

Dealing with the NHS and the schools is beginning to remind me of that Monty Python sketch about the man who goes into the cheese shop for cheese: John Cleese keeps asking Michael Palin if he has different types of cheeses and is told again and again that there is none. "Do you have any Emmenthaler?" "Nope", "any Cheddar?" "Yes", "Then bring on the Cheddar!" "Oh, sorry, sir, the cat's just eaten it."   I hope that it wont be like that, but everyone who has dealt with the schools or NHS has told me to not have too high expectations. I've been told that I need to be rude and a squeeky wheel, and to not worry about coming across as THAT Mom, because any perceived rudeness will be attributed to me being an American. Well, at least I have that going for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment