Friday 5 August 2011

England and food

I haven't suffered too much from homesickness and its been almost five months, now. The one place where I feel the most homesick is the grocery store. I didn't expect to miss home while shopping for milk, but its a strange feeling to be looking for something that's common in the states and not seeing it anywhere. Its even stranger to realize that I won't be able to find it anywhere in the country. As far as I know, there are no specialty American stores around like there are for everyone else. I've asked friends for CARE packages, and so far I've gotten some Dunkin Donuts coffee, a large container of taco seasoning, and Girl Scout Thin Mint cookies.

Here are some things I have not found here, or its here, but not really what you would expect:

-proper apple sauce. There's only ultra-sweet table sauce with apples that's used with pork chops. No large jars of Mott's. We all miss that, and trying to make apple sauce in our small apartment would be slightly insane. Maybe when we live in that bucolic farmhouse of my English dreams....

-the Mexican food here is pretty bad. The only decent salsa I've found has been the tiny package in the fajita dinner box. That should give you a good idea of how bad it is. Forget about guacamole, and no sour cream here, either.

-so far I've found no decent pizza; frozen or takeaway.

-no Italian sausages, and I have yet to get used to English sausages. They just taste odd to me. The kids dont mind, though.

No goldfish crackers!

kid alert: gotta go and I'll finish this post later.

No comments:

Post a Comment